Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Aller et retour

A few of you have been on my case lately, noting that I haven't written a blog in about six months.  And now it's October (Wait.  November?  Did that happen already?) and I've had plenty to write about, but just haven't done it.  In the past six months I've traveled leisurely to Quebec, Colonial Williamsburg/Busch Gardens, the mountains of North Carolina, Philadelphia, New Orleans, and not to mention New York and Raleigh countless times.  And of course a bunch of long layovers for work.  They've been sending me to Vegas a lot, which I love.  I reconnected with my friend Jenn and my gosh, I don't think we stopped laughing the entire time I was there.  Next week I am going to Istanbul with two other flight attendants (although we decided to call it Constantinople.....again.  Because that just sounds more fun.)

My friend Jeff, in particular, has been encouraging me to write again.  We are accountability partners.  I encourage him to write his screenplay, which is absolutely brilliant.  I hope it gets noticed, because his witty and clever rhetoric is beyond amazing.  His ideas are golden.  I think we can help each other.  He and his wife and new baby and stepdaughter live in suburban Philadelphia.  We spent a few days together in August drumming up ideas and getting our writing on track. 

In addition to the travel, I've been thoroughly enjoying Ohio.  I've spent many days off with my sister-in-law and my nephew, as well as the rest of my family.  My nephew Sergio speaks fluent sign language and he shakes the "L" sign for Aunt Laurie.  He also verbally says my name which sounds like"Ah Ya Ya".  I've enjoyed laughing with both of my grandmas and my mother has cooked my favorite meal for me a couple times over the summer: ham, fresh green beans, and potatoes.  I've enjoyed huge, ripe, juciy tomatoes from her garden all summer.  I spent days off at the pool at my apartment.  I got to see Journey in concert and sat in the 6th row and sang every word to every song.  I flew to Raleigh on days off and spent significant time with close friends. We took bike rides, we ate out, grilled out, and laughed and drank.   I flew to New York on other days off and ate at Il Mulino, Jean Georges, Gramercy Tavern, and a bunch of other spots.  Over Memorial Day weekend I was in Quebec City and enjoyed its picturesque old-world European-like charm.  And poutine- this amazing french fry concoction, smothered in gravy and cheese curds.  The summer was remarkable. 

Then autumn set in, and I have been spending significant time in North Carolina. I went to the Smoky Mountains with someone I love spending time with, and we stayed at a beautiful bed and breakfast nestled right in the mountains, in a town called Banner Elk.  There was a jacuzzi and a fireplace. The leaves were spectacular- vibrant colors I've never seen before on trees.  We explored antique shops and ate at greasy spoons.  We drank whiskey and talked and laughed on rocking chairs on the porch all evening.  I spent Halloween with my best friend, Angie and her beautiful baby girl, Sophie.  I reconnected with a friend from high school and met a new close friend.  I went to the Big Easy with two of my girlfriends from New York.  We ate our way through Bourbon Street and visited a cemetery and explored historic parts of that unique city. I reconnected with Alpha Gam at my collegiate chapter, and have decided to become an Adviser.  Although I haven't really done anything yet with this, I am looking forward to reconnecting with a lot more old sorority sisters. These friendships are timeless, where I can jump back in and not have feel like I've missed a single beat.

As I read through this, a lot of my adventures have involved eating!  But I've managed to drop a few more pounds and I am about 28 pounds lighter than I was a year ago at this time.

So in the grand scheme of things, all is good.  Not everything is perfect, but at least status quo.  I still enjoy the flying, but I yearn for a regular schedule. A schedule where I know what I'm doing and where I'm flying a month in advance.  A schedule where I can have more flexibility with my days off and where I choose to fly.   This is called "holding a line".   If I transfer to our base in Chicago or Washington Dulles or Los Angeles, I can hold a line.  This has been on my mind for awhile and I'm not sure if I'm ready to take the plunge.  I would have to commute to work until my lease is up, and I'm uncertain if I'm ready for that.  Chicago has been calling my name for awhile now, though.  I sometimes miss my career in higher education and have dreams of going back into that field.  Right now, I just don't know though.  New York calls my name quite loudly, as well.  I so miss my old home and my wonderful life there.  I miss a lot of things about North Carolina too.  There are many lonely nights, when I sit in my dark, empty hotel room on my layovers and wonder if I'll ever feel peace of mind.  I often tell people that my number one priority is to meet a life-partner.  It is a difficult feat, because I'm afraid that you can't "work hard" to accomplish such a goal.  In fact, just the opposite.  You have to stop trying so hard and just let it happen.  I don't know how to do this.  I've always put career first and that involves "working hard" to accomplish a specific, tangible goal. 

But this blog is not intended to be a downer.  I love love love my friends and family.  I feel overjoyed at the encouraging, fun, hilarious, and uplifting people in my life.  And grateful for the opportunities and many many possibilities that are provided to me in this universe.  As I type this, I am texting with my friend from Manchester, England who just took a position in Miami.  He is so positive and uplifting, it is such perfect timing for his words of encouragement as I type this blog.  I don't even know if he reads this, but if so- THANK YOU.  I am so lucky to have such people who care.  I don't know if you guys remember, but I used to do a daily gratitude list.  That has recently dwindled, just like my blog, and I am trying to wax that back into my daily life, as well. 

Ok, I think I have shared enough personal information for now.  In a few days I will be departing for Turkey and I can promise you there will be a blog after that.

Please in the meantime feel free to comment or to email me.  I have missed you all deeply.  I will be back soon, with an on-time departure and arrival to a place I have stayed away from for far too long. 


No comments: