Thursday, September 15, 2011

Wandering Jew, Spanish Moss, and other Novelties

I moved this week.  I move just about every year, it seems.  And it's usually because I am changing careers. Either I'm not on-call anymore so the job doesn't provide my apartment for me anymore.  Or I am going on Semester at Sea.  Or I'm getting promoted and moving out of state.  Or I'm changing careers all-together and once again moving out of state.  I've become a champion packer. 

 I'm tired.

I was smart this time and saved all the boxes that I used to move from New York to North Carolina.  Now every last one of them is packed up and in storage.  My mail is being sent to a PO Box near the RDU airport.  And Kitty is on Holiday at Doug's house.  Today I was reassured that his girlfriend Jill is giving him plenty of love.  I think Kitty will enjoy this vacation while I am in Houston for training.

Earlier this week I took one last trip (leisure trip, that is- via road, not air) before my new job.  Sorry Steve, but the photos are simply too cute not to post, so I am outing your anonymity, ok?  

We first went to Savannah (about a five hour drive from Raleigh) and then to Charleston, which took less than two hours from Savannah. 
 The bridge coming out of Savannah.  What a gorgeous day for a road trip.


Husk.  A yummy restaurant in Charleston.  It was restaurant week, so we didn't get to experience the full menu.  Steve is kind of a foodie, so when we go out we go ALLLLL out.  He orders just about everything on the menu, but we couldn't do that during restaurant week in Charleston. (Aside:  I don't understand this.  In New York when we would have Restaurant Week, restaurants ENCOURAGE you to order from their regular menu instead of the prix-fixe menu that they have just for restaurant week.  They certainly make more money that way.) Still delicious though.  For me the highlight was fried chicken skins.  Just the skins.  Fried. Yes. Does it surprise you that this would be my favorite?  And we had these drinks with orange bitters and bourbon and whiskey and rye and I don't even know what else.  (And how would I remember after all of those things in the mix?) We had to rush through dinner to make it on time for our ghost tour, but we made it by the skin of our teeth.

This was an old over-grown cemetery in CharlestonSavannah. We were introduced to it during our ghost tour, but the gates were closed so we decided to come back during the day so we could explore.

Charleston waterfront.  We just had eaten pink grapefruit, cherry chocolate, and apple pie gelato. All three were delicious.

Spanish moss at a cemetery in Savannah.  It grows everywhere.  I think it's pretty- the quintessential Southern tree.  Apparently it grows from spores and the wind blows them around and creates the moss.  I never saw it in Spain when I was there, but I guess that's where it came from.  

This plant is called Wandering Jew.  We did a garden walking tour in Savannah, and the guide pointed out all of the beautiful flor and fauna that lives in this beautiful Southern city.  I enjoy this plant thoroughly.

It was a wonderful 3 day mini-vacation.  We stayed at the Planter's Inn in Savannah.  I highly recommend it.  It is very historic and it is also very haunted, so Steve and I requested the haunted room.  There are actually two.  609 and 606.  609 is haunted by a little girl who allegedly jumped from a window and died.  606 is haunted by a whore, as the Planter's Inn was once a brothel.  I forget the story, but she died there too.  We stayed in 609.  I was freezing-cold the whole night and kept waking up and bolting upright, looking for the little girl.  No such luck.  Maybe next time.

It was a great trip and I would recommend both cities to anyone who enjoys flor & fauna, cemeteries, historic seaside towns, food, spirits, and spirits.  I had been to Savannah back in 2004 and 2005 but I could have used about 3 more days exploring Charleston.  We'll go back. 

This weekend I am off to Houston for one month to experience "Barbie Bootcamp", as it has affectionately been dubbed.  I will learn all I need to know about opening emergency exit doors and donning oxygen masks and pushing 300 pound beverage carts up the aisle at a vertical-incline in 3-inch heels. 

And it is with a heavy heart that I leave North Carolina temporarily.  Funny how things happen, since a mere six months ago I couldn't get back to New York fast enough.   It looks as though after my training I'll be straddling Newark (where I'll be based) and Raleigh (where all of my stuff is).

Next update will be from 30,000 feet.





1 comment:

Kirstin @ Hello Kirsti said...

I LOVE Savannah and Charleston, I spent a week at camp at SCAD and ALMOST went to CofC such beautiful cities =)
Hope you have a great training, and best of luck on this new adventure Laurie!