Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Topsy Turvey

First of all, my friend from high school, Jen has a blog: mommy-of-three.blogspot.com which I frequently visit. Her kids are scrumptiously cute and I love reading about their adventures. Jen is so articulate and writes so eloquently, so I was pleased to find that I was her 10,000th visitor today.


On the note of milestones, I've been back in New York for one whole month now. I am finally all moved into my apartment. And this past week has been spent hanging valances and blinds; arranging furniture; unpacking; and making my house a home. Here is a fuzzy picture of the blinds and valances I mounted.

Kitty has settled in quite well also. He enjoys watching the pigeons on the fire escape.


I am considering growing a window-box garden out there, but now I'm worried that the birds may eat any herbs or vegetables I plant. Anyone have any tips for a fire-escape garden? My friend Melissa suggested something called a "Topsy Turvey" which grows tomatoes upside-down. But I think the Topsy-Turvey might be a little too large for my fire escape, even though it does sound like fun. My friend Mary suggested a wrought-iron planter thingy from Crate & Barrel with a variety of kitchen herbs, which sounds more practical. Is it even legal to have a garden on my fire escape? I mean, I've seen people do it before, but what if there's a fire? Will the NYFD have to cut through tomato plants with a Swiss Army knife to get to me and Kitty? Or will I have to eat through strawberry planters to break free from flames? Or better yet- will I just be extra cautious and not leave candles lit, stoves on, and curling irons plugged into the wall? I've got to admit, I am a little bit nervous, because my smoke detector is hanging crookedly (topsy turvey!) from the ceiling by a wire. I told the Super, so now I guess I should probably follow up.

So far I'm enjoying my new neighborhood and my shorter commute to work. The 6 train has certainly been interesting. Last night on the way home from work I noticed:
* one guy sketching me (he blushed when I saw his notebook). Wonder how he finished it, since my stop was before his?
* one guy grilling me about the art of Soduko and asking me about my career. I told him I work at an art school and he told me I seemed creative. (Guess you gotta have some creative solutions to deal with some of these students!) As it turned out, he was a Firefighter- so I made sure NOT to mention the idea I've got for my fire escape, nor the smoke alarm dangling from a string.....
* one Asian guy screaming that he was God.

All reasons why I love New York.

And I love Boston, which is where I will be on Friday- back on the ship! The ship will be docked there for a few days before the Summer Voyage, so they are having a reception for alumni. Stay tuned for more photos and pictures as I reunite with Semester at Sea.




1 comment:

Dara said...

Funny...I just saw an ad for the "Topsy Turvey" and I was like, what the hell is that? What a coincidence, Laurie was just looking into small time gardening.