Monday, May 4, 2009

Full Circle

“Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life.” - Jack Kerouac

Okay, so we had a Staff Social, and I just drank a bunch of margaritas and now I am sitting in Logistical and "Cultural" pre-port for Fort Lauderdale. It is a spoof on all the other pre-ports we've had. The "Duty Dean" is my dad, apparently.... and the Field office is at the beach. (I was really hoping to get on the Walking Tour of the Fort Lauderdale Airport, but it looks like I'll have to instead do a tour of an airport further away in Miami, where the national language is Spanish.) Things to be worried about in the United States of America are: Traveler's Diarrhea, Hypochondria, and Swine Flu. The exchange rate is really crappy. In fact, at this point, most restaurants prefer Canadian dollars. Bartering is not widely practiced in this country.

I just learned that I have to drop off my luggage tomorrow at noon, and I haven't even started to pack yet. And at this point, I wonder how that feat is going to be accomplished after all the margaritas......And I have to fill out the customs form. So if you ever want to complain about filling out the form you get on the plane, I don't have much sympathy. Try doing a customs form for 13 different countries visited. And if I spent over $800 on souveniers I have to pay some sort of fee.

We have come full-circle, my friends. Than you so much for following my journey. In closing, here are some photos from the Ambassador's Ball last night with my colleagues and with some of my students, as well as some other photos around the ship and from the Panama Canal crossing. In fact- my "son" Will from my "Extended Family" on the ship told me the other night that his "real" mom found my blog! So for her, I am posting a photo with Will and Walsh, two of the sweetest students I've met ever met!
Janetta and Me. I have a feeling we're going to cross paths again.....
Grace and me. Grace lives on my "sea" and is a very sweet student:

Linus, Laz, and Dougie. (Those are their nicknames):
One of my "daughters", Jess and me:

Jonathan Katz, Issaiah and me. Jonathan is HiLaRiOuS....mark my word, he will be famous one day:
Another "son", Bobby and me:
One of my favorite peeps, Biscuit and me:
Another one of my favorite peeps, Jason from the "home office":

'Bama and me. She bleeds "roll tide" blood and praises Bear Bryant:
All the students catching tan, as we traversed the Panama Canal:
We saw ourselves crossing the Panama Canal on the computer!
See!?
Zella loves me.
Et moi!

Dress: Custom tailored in Vietnam $75
Earrings: Chinatown, New York, New York USA $1
Shoes: Chennai, India $10
Bracelet: A gift from Mexico
Understanding of the world: Global, Priceless

"The world is round and the place which may seem like the end may also be the beginning." –Ivy Baker Priest

3 comments:

Dara said...

I'm so glad you've come full circle with a new global view. You've fed your soul in a way which most people can only dream of. You are truly blessed.

丽英 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Becca said...

"Zella loves me"


Yes.

She.

Does.