Saturday, April 18, 2009

2:00 or Tuesday?

We've had four time changes during this stretch at sea. Four pushes of the clock. Four "spring aheads". And one extra April 12th. A whole extra DAY. But that was not a day to catch up on all the hours we've lost as we "time-travel" around the world, because we still worked the whole day. No sleep for the weary! We've still got about 6 hours left to lose. One hour just about every other night while we're at sea. I don't know if I'm coming or going. I don't know if it's 2:00 or Tuesday.

It seems like weeks ago that I was at the Japanese baseball game. I'm excited to get back to the US and to visit the new Citifield and the new Yankee Stadium-- Which, by the way, I am very happy to hear had a great home opener......well, at least for ME! My Indians were the "and guest" and they (Grady Sizemore in particular) did not let me down as Cleveland beat the Yankees by a land slide on the historical opening day at the brand new Yankee Stadium. The ballpark has been christened. And they also won today 22-4. There are a few students from Cleveland on the ship who shared in my excitement. As you may know, when I moved to NYC 8 or so years ago I chose to root for the NL team and became a Mets fan, but I still never stopped being a Cleveland fan. Which made sense to me. You get to pick one AL team and one NL team to be a fan of. There is not much talk of baseball on the ship. But there are certainly games being played.....

The other day I got a notice on my door saying I've been randomly selected to be tested as part of the Semester @ Sea random drug testing. So I gathered up all of my prescriptions to take with me to the clinic. I asked Janetta if she thought I was "randomly" selected since I talk about Vicodin so much. (I do have a prescription for it and I jokingly offer to share it with my friends with they talk about their aches and pains. And I go on to joke about how nicely it goes down with a glass of wine.) Janetta laughed and kind of looked away. I couldn't really figure out what was going on, but I was all geared up and ready to go. My "summons" was for 1:00 in Timitz Square. So there I went. And no one from the medical staff was anywhere around. Nowhere to be seen. No one looked like they were ready to test my system (nor anyone else's) for any sort of drugs. I went to the Executive Dean to inquire, which is when at least five of my other friends appeared around the corner, and burst into laughter.

It was a prank and they got me good. Shirl was the Ringleader and she told me that she was awake late at night and thought this would be a funny joke. So she and the rest of the pranksters picked me since I am one of the few people who would laugh along with then. They're right. I did laugh. But now I have to figure out a way to get Shirl back....if you can think of any suggestions, let me know. Here are some of the ones involved in this prank:



It has been a looooong 9 days at sea. We'll finally be in Hawaii tomorrow morning at 6 AM. Finally a break. The seventh inning stretch, if you will.... I can't wait. I feel like I've been gearing up and writing about this elusive port of Honolulu for WEEKS. 2 days in paradise and then 7 more days at sea.

I am tired, my back hurts, and I'm ready to be in Hawaii. I'm ready to be in Guatemala. I'm ready to be in New York. This voyage has exhausted all my energy. I'm homesick and I haven't even got a home..... (Anyone who works in NYC real estate reading this, please contact me. I am looking for a sunny pet-friendly, rent stabilized, one-bedroom apt. Lower East Side or Brooklyn please. Not too far out if it's Bklyn. Close to the 1/2/3/A/C/E/J/M/Z trains if possible.....) I think the NYC apartment search is much more difficult than the job search. I would say it's easiest to get a date, then a job, then an apartment. I just don't want to end up in the same situation I was in before uptown with the slumlord and the Ol' Bitty et al. Okay. No more complaining, I promise. I'm just ready to get back to the grind. I'm also ready to see something out my window besides endless miles of the ocean. I'd gladly take a dolphin or even an albatross.

But as far as this voyage goes, I still wouldn't trade it for the world.....although..... that sounds like a pretty even trade to me.....

No comments: