Tuesday, February 17, 2009

You call some place paradise - kiss it goodbye.

Then the chilly winds blew down across the desert, through the canyons of the coast to the Malibu where the pretty people play hungry for power to light their neon way and give them things to do.

- Don Henley/Glenn Frye

I think a lot. And today I've been thinking about Namibia and I've been thinking about how untouched so many parts of it are. Tourism is not big there. The port does not cater to cruise ships. Wildlife runs free.

But I was thinking of something else- there was a lot of construction there. Angelina Jolie might have started the trend when she came there to adopt her babies and stayed in a lavish home between Walvis Bay and Swakupmond.

Wonder how long it will be before the dunes give way to Neon Lights?

Anyway, I can't really complain. I'll just be able to say I saw it in it's nature days. And here is one more video. This one is of the giant dune (folks on email, go to the actual website to view).
video

My understanding is that if you get my blog through your email, the videos didn't show up. Sorry about that! I guess you'll have to visit www.therimeofthemodernmariner.blogspot.com if you want to see the videos. The photos do show up in your email though, right? I'll try to let you know if I post videos again so that you know to view them on the blogger site.

Namibia yesterday. Capetown tomorrow.

In the meantime we had taco day (a rarity) for lunch and now it's about dinner time. We also had a Muster Drill and they finally gave me a megaphone this time to shout out all 90+ names. My students were top-notch. They were quiet, they all remembered their life jackets and they cooperated.

Here is a photo of me in my lifejacket right before our Muster Drill. I even wore my Mets Visor because it matched. Talk about neon.....

1 comment:

Rebekah Chow said...

Hooray for Mets fans!!!!!