Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Fly me to the moon, let me sing among the stars......

I don't even know if words can capture this image.....which doesn't do the actual moment justice. Imagine these stars a million times brighter and a million more of them. Shutter speeds on cameras only go so fast. My friend Jason shot this while we were star-gazing at Kagga Kamma. Hard to believe that was just a couple days ago and now I am looking out the window at Mozambique, as we sail on by.

Right now we are at sea for a couple more days before reaching Mauritius, and tonight I am invited to the "Captain's Dinner". I am really excited since I wasn't invited to any of the previous Captain's Dinners. Since it is just for faculty and staff, there will probably be like 20 of us there. I heard they serve things like caviar and champagne and escargot.

Additionally, everyone has been asking Luke, The Assistant Executive Dean about the seating arrangements and everyone wants to sit next to the Captain. I can't compete with 19 people, but I had another idea.....Being my bold self, I decided to up the ante and request to sit on the captain's lap. Luke just nodded and walked away. A few hours later, Luke ran into me and informed me in a very matter-of-fact manner, "Laurie. Good news. Captain said yes."

My colleagues find this hilarious. Contrary to what you may believe from my blog, this job is not all fun and games. There are whiners and complainers. There are challenges and obstacles. There are papers and exams. In fact, just this morning I had to proctor a Global Studies exam. All 740 students took it at one time. I take the class, but I am exempt from taking the exam (although I am confident that I would pass with flying colors because I have not skipped one single Global Studies class.)

At any rate, students like to complain about things such as this exam, as do some faculty and staff. So I try to mix it up and break the tension. I do things like start the "wave" in the dining room. Sometimes it catches on, sometimes not. Either way, I am trying to be positive. After all, I'm getting paid to travel around the world.

Last night my friend Kate had a party in her room on Deck 2. We drank wine and had fun and merriment. There were about 14 of us crammed into a tiny shoebox of a cabin. And she even played my favorite Ludacris song "I wanna li li li lick you from your head to your toe."

Because nothing defines Semester at Sea and raises one's spirit like a little Ludacris......

4 comments:

Kat said...

HAHAHA! I love this picture, understanding that it didn't even begin to capture the moment.

Enjoy your captains dinner and The free flowing wine! Let me know when you sit on captain jeremy's lap! :)

oh, how I wish we were on the same voyage, we would be soo much fun together!

Safe travels and keep the blogs coming!

Dara said...

I can imagine how gorgeous the stars must have looked behind you...
And, that's OUR song!!!!!
....and I wanna, ah ah ah......

Laurie said...

You make it so good I don't wanna leeeeeeave.....and I got to know what's your fantaseeeeeeeeeeee

MikeScorpio said...

Definintely your best pic...