Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Stand by.....

First of all, I wanna say thank you to Barbie, Erika, Erin, Adam, Vicki, and Brian Vanschmataburg for taking my True/False test.

....but, where are the rest of you? Dara Pie? Patty Cakes? My Little Chicakadee Steph? Mommy? Fatima? Sarahlicious? JoAnnie? Grandma? Gissell? Sophiqua? You guys might win! I know you guys read this stuff.....

But I'll give it a few days for you guys to give it a try before I post the results. So far so good. You guys made some good guesses! So to the rest of you, even if you don't think you know, go ahead and take a stab! Remember, there's a PrIzE......

Okay, so not today, but after this True/False quiz ends, I've decided my next "game". It's a Tribute to my readers! I'm going to write a few sentences about all the people whom I know read my blog and you guys have to guess which one describes you. Does that sound fun or what? Who said the Rime of the Modern Mariner has to be all about moi? I mean Samuel Taylor Coleridge's work wouldn't have been as good without the albatross and the wedding guest, right? I think this might be a tall order, even for me. I know of at least 55 of you who are subscribed (which is awesome, by the way- send all your friends too...the more the merrier....there is room at the Inn for many more of you.)

At any rate, I don't have much else to say today. From what I understand it's snowing outside. But I wouldn't know for certain, as my office doesn't have a window. Nonetheless, the snow is quite welcome. Last night was 60 degrees and I went onto the terrace and ate a knish and drank a beer (because the two go hand in hand). Oh- and by the way, I went to Katz's for the first time in the 7+ years I've lived here . NOT IMPRESSED. Disorganized, expensive, confusing, and not so good about customer service. But the knish was okay.

In addition to the warm weather making this season kinda weird, I've felt a little lack-luster about the holidays. All of my belongings are stored at my parents' home in Ohio from now until after I get back from my voyage. My cat ("Kitty") is uptown at Dara's. My heart is still in New York. And my mind is out at sea somewhere. I walk by the fragrant smell of scotch pine and nostalgia hits. Love that smell. We always had a big tree at christmastime when I was a child. I even watched my favorite Christmas special the other night- Charlie Brown's Christmas. But I can't get into it. I even took a new route to work today. I walked down Mulberry Street. Little Italy looked festive for the holidays! Oh wait- I think those gaudy lights are ALWAYS there year-round. But nonetheless, I liked walking down a different street. There were crazy aluminum trees in windows and tacky things like that. It made me smile a little. For those of you with children (Jen N., Wendi, Gissell, Margaret, et al), please tell me the holidays get exciting again with children around? That's what I'm hoping for. In a couple years when I have some wee sproggins' I'm sure my heart will be back into it again. (Is that jumping the gun?)

But for now, I am just going to enjoy the time with my friends and family before I leave (in LESS than one month I'll be in Miami on the ship!!!!) Thank you all for reading, commenting, entertaining my notions, playing my reindeer games. Because you guys mean everything to me. Even that pain in the ass, Brian. Yeah, yeah yeah....it's getting mushy and I can't have a blog with at least a HINT of sarcasm somewhere.....

No comments: