Saturday, November 29, 2008

Off the deep end.....


I write this as I sit at my grandma's house, as I visit her in Ohio over the Thanksgiving holiday. We like to drink wine (even at 3:00 PM). It's the wine that comes in the box....the "rotgut" as my grandma calls it. We drink our rotgut and she tells me stories about her mother and her brother. She also reminisces about Scott and me when we were little kids.

I am looking out the window at a pool with a coating of ice on the top of some mucky water. It's been awhile since anyone has splashed around in that pool. My grandma and grandad taught us to swim when we were very little. I think we were very very fortunate to have learned that skill at such a young age.

My grandma also pulled out a diary that she found of my brother's.

He transcribed three entries to my grandma when he was about three years old, and after that he lost interest.
Here is one of the entries from July 5, 1980:
In case you can't read it, the gist of it is:
Dear Diary,
I went to grandmas house. I played with all my friends in the gym set. And we had lots of tan. We went swimming with the tubes and muscles. We like to swim a lot but its cold in there. Laurie & me went to the deep end with our tubes and muscles and Laurie jumped off at the deep end.

Not much changes. In fact, the entry from June 9 stated that "Today I goed to the doughnut place with Mother and Laurie." That doesn't sound like a bad idea right now......

No comments: