Monday, November 10, 2008

Jump, you say? How high?

This one's about loooooove.

The fickle nature of love.

I loved once (maybe even twice). And it was wonderful. The kind of love that one dreams about. Chills up your arms. Ticklish feeling in your stomach. Goofy grin on your face. Singing along to every song on the radio and feeling as though each lyric has been written for you personally. Skipping down the hallways.

I love to love strong and confident men who know what they want in life. Men who have goals and achieve important things. Men who walk with their heads up and best foot forward. I love having long conversations over breakfast, drinking black coffee and sharing interesting tidbits we've read in the morning paper. But I also like to be taking care of these men. Like being on my hands and knees, finding their lost keys under the table, on the floor of the darkened bar, scoping around with a flashlight, while they are outside laughing, flirting with other women, and smoking a cigarette, not a care in the world.....

See.....this was the problem. I was taking care of them and they didn't want to be cared for. "Jump, Laurie", they would say. "Jump you say? Sure! How high?" And I would be right there jumping. I lost my breath. But, EVEN with all the jumping, I still had one foot on the ground, so I was able to keep my balance (kind of). I was barely standing, while trying to maintain a relationship with men who didn't even know how to jump, let alone be swept away by me. And then came the point when the proverbial straw broke the proverbial camel's proverbial back. And just like that it was over. And I couldn't jump any more.

I spent a lot of time being miserable. Because infatuation trumps good judgment. And one day it just kinda clicks. You stop jumping for everyone else and start doing so just because you want to. Might as well! Van Halen understands! Ask him!

Crap, I just re-read what I've written thus far and realized this one's personal and I'm giving away my secrets. Let me find a way to shift gears here....

.....I am IMing with one of my buddies, Mike J....and he is asking when I'm going to publish my book. Well Mike, I don't know the answer to that question, but I'm working on it, one blog at a time. Somehow Mike and I are in a conversation about my diplomatic nature and how understanding I am and I agreed that yes, I am Christlike. Mike is asking me if Jesus liked mimosas as much as I do? I think he preferred wine, as there was an orange famine that hit circa the New Testament. But I'm sure they were was plenty of wine instead, since he knew how to manifest it out of water. Probably no bubbly and OJ for JC, but plenty of wine. Because after all, Jesus never turned water into mimosas. Although, I'm sure that would have made for interesting brunches. Great. I've gone from love to blasphemy all in one blog. Can I add any more taboo topics? Politics anyone? And I even went to mass tonight, believe it or not! Communion and the whole nine yards! I should be behaving better than this! Don't worry Mom, if you're reading....I'll say a few extra hail mary's for my blasphemous talk about Jesus drinking mimosas and then let it go. I should stop while I'm ahead.... Let me shift gears once again....

Did I tell you how much I love brunch? Because that's like a blog in and of itself. Or maybe I could write about.....oh, say Semester at Sea? The whole reason I created this blog in the first place! So maybe next time.....but for now I need to stop jumping....instead I should probably be down on my knees.....

2 comments:

MikeScorpio said...

There you go making me famous...

But seriously, I can't wait for you to find someone whom you will leave speechless.

The men on that boat are in deep trouble...

Ziggy said...

I love it. And I don't think good ol' JC would mind. I am pretty sure the Good Lord has a great sense of humor or he wouldn't have created it in us. I think he can handle a little joke from time to time. I bet Jesus would love mimosas and I bet he'd be a blast to hang out with for a laughter-filled mimosa brunch!

I can relate to this post (shocking, I know). The trick is finding someone with whom you can be your strong, confident self, but who you can love enough to want to serve (not in a master/servant way, but just in love) AND who will feel the same way about you. I think it takes time to get to that place in a relationship, but there are usually signs right up front indicating whether or not a guy has those qualities or desires. You've heard it a hundred times from me because it is my mantra. "Never allow someone to be your PRIORITY while allowing yourself to be their OPTION."

I'm with Mike... I can't wait for you to find the right guy who YOU will leave speachless. And I can't wait for your book. I'll be the first in line to buy it! Much love to you, gorgeous!